Reader of the Week…Jimmy Johnson!
Congrats to this week’s featured reader, Jimmy Johnson! Jimmy is a veterinarian doing his residency in zoo and aquatic animal medicine through the University of Illinois, Brookfield Zoo, and Shedd Aquarium. He went to veterinary school at the Ohio State University and spent last year doing a zoo medicine internship through Louisiana State University, the Baton Rouge Zoo, and the Audubon Nature Institute. He currently lives in Champaign, Illinois. We love knowing dessert lovers come from all backgrounds and Jimmy definitely has a cool job while eating sweets. Read on to learn more about Jimmy’s sweet tooth. If you would like to be our Reader of the Week all you need to do is email us your answers to these five questions below to JustDessertsNYC@yahoo.com and attach a picture of yourself. We look forward to hearing from you!
1. What is your favorite dessert and why?
Hands down, sugar cream pie with vanilla ice cream! I always had it when I was younger at the Branding Iron restaurant in Delaware, Ohio and it’s been my favorite since.
2. What is your favorite dessert of your hometown?
My hometown is Columbus, Ohio and my favorite dessert there has to be Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams. My personal favorites include their brown butter almond brittle, brambleberry crisp, goat cheese with red cherries, and heirloom pumpkin.
3. If you met a magical dessert Genie what three wishes would you ask him to grant?
1) Ice cream with every meal, even breakfast! Strawberry ice cream on a Belgian waffle is amazing!2) To make it home to run the Turkey Trot in Columbus, Ohio on Thanksgiving day! The first 2,000 finishers win a free pumpkin pie!3) If everyone could eat pie anytime they wanted! As David Mamet said, “We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.”
4. What is your favorite dessert in NYC?
The pumpkin pie at Good Enough to Eat! Last Thanksgiving, when our pumpkin pie didn’t cook all the way through because the oven was too crowded with all the other dishes, Good Enough to Eat saved our Thanksgiving dessert with an amazing pumpkin pie on the spot!
5. If you were a dessert what would you be?
I have to say I’d be a pumpkin pie. Fall is my favorite season with the cool, crisp air and leaves changing, and what would it all be without a pumpkin pie!